Increasingly, the world in general and our individual lives have become more uncertain, fretful, and fear-ridden. This mode of chronic unease and anxiousness is not God’s ideal for us. There are numerous instances in scripture that reassure us as we navigate these unpredictable times in our lives. The Word of God is filled with invitations not to worry and to reclaim whatever peace that we may have lost over time. This article seeks to outline a few bible verses that can help us to conquer the twin peace stealers of fear and anxiety.
Old Testament Peace-Speakers
The Psalms has been a mainstay for centuries as a place in the Bible that people find refuge for quieting their fear and anxious thoughts. Some reassuring psalmist verses are as follows:
- PSALM 56:3-4: “When I am afraid, I put my trust in you. In God, whose word I praise—in God I trust and am not afraid. What can mere mortals do to me?” (NIV)
- PSALM 94: 19: “In the multitude of my thoughts within me thy comforts delight my soul.” (KJV)
Tough often looked upon as the book of the Law, Deuteronomy has many instances of reminders that the Sovereign God’s s duty is to protect and save. Two such examples are presented in these verses:
- DEUTERONOMY 3:22: “Do not be afraid of them; the Lord your God himself will fight for you.” (NIV)
- DEUTERONOMY 31:6: “Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.” ((NIV)
The Book of Wisdom, Proverbs, provides gems of reassurance and nuggets that can quiet one’s spirit and calm the nerves. A reminder is given in Proverbs 12:25 of what can happen when we quell anxiety in ourselves and others.
- PROVERBS 12:25: “Anxiety weighs down the heart, but a kind word cheers it up.”
Isaiah the Prophet heralds a range of glad tidings and reasons to hope in the Lord in the middle of adversity and upheaval. Isaiah 41:13-14 is one such example.
- ISAIAH 41:13-14: “For I am the Lord, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you. Do not be afraid, for I myself will help you,’ declares the Lord, your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel.”
New Testament Fear Fighters
The members of the early church had their fair share of fear and anxiety. Throughout the New Testament, the various writers present the words to overcome these traits and restore peace in people’s lives.
- JOHN 14:1: “Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God; believe also in me.” (NIV)
- MARK 4:39-40: “He got up, rebuked the wind, and said to the waves, “Quiet! Be still!” Then the wind died down, and it was completely calm. He said to his disciples, “Why are you so afraid? Do you still have no faith?” (NIV)
- PHILIPPIANS 4:6-7: “Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” (NIV)
- ROMANS 8:38-39: “And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from God’s love. Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither our fears for today nor our worries about tomorrow—not even the powers of hell can separate us from God’s love.”(NIV)
Without a doubt, God-s Holy Word is filled with gems of comfort that will calm our troubled thoughts, empower us to conquer our fear and inspire us to reclaim our peace.